Meet Sylvain Bossis
Maker of Matryx® fabric
Our Inside the Lab series shares the stories of the creative individuals behind Deckers X Lab.
Sylvain Bossis, R&D director at Chamatex, leads the team that developed Matryx® textile that gives the midfoot of our X-SCAPE Sport and K-ST 21 light weight, durable, hydrophobic breathable, and strong foothold.
Can you tell us a bit more about the Chamatex and the history of Chamatex?
Chamatex is a company that designs, manufactures and markets fabrics that can be, loom state, dyed, printed, finished with additional finishes such as lamination of waterproof membranes, or complexed by assembling several layers.
I've been working at Chamatex for almost 10 years now. I started building fabrics in 2011, and Matryx® in 2013.
What does your average workday look like?
My days as R&D Director are divided between :
- Building Matryx® products for several Sport customers, including HOKA ONE ONE. I enjoyed our work together creating the textile for the EVO Mafate
- Resolving production issues
- Managing the R&D department organization at Chamatex
Three things you are grateful for.
- My family
- My work, which transforms yarns into technical fabrics. These technical fabrics can have extremely various applications. It is very interesting to see athletes performing with sports shoes using textiles, designed and manufactured by Chamatex
- My living environment: living in France, in the Rhone-Alpes region, between the sea and the mountains, the landscapes are very beautiful, and leisure activities are within easy reach
How do you usually style your Deckers X Lab shoes?
With Deckers X Lab shoes I wear a casual look: jeans with a shirt or tee shirt.